CRUSHED CARROTS WITH HARISSA & PISTACHIOS
Total Hands-On Time: 45 min
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Yield: 4 servings
Carrots’ sweetness makes them popular in North Africa, where the combination of sweet, sour and spicy is used to make some unusually harmonious creations. Here, crushed cooked carrots make a sharp and hot spread perfect with a pile of warm pitas. Increase the harissa if you would like this very hot. I didn’t have any harissa and used my chilli jam.
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to finish
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 10 large carrots (2-1/4 pounds), peeled, sliced 3/4-inch-thick
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• Grated zest of 1 orange
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 teaspoons harissa paste, or to taste
• Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 3-1/2 tablespoons shelled unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
• Salt and black pepper
1. Place olive oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and sauté 6 minutes, stirring often, until they’re soft and take on colour. Add stock, turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and cook another 25 minutes, until carrots are completely soft and there is hardly any liquid left.
2. Transfer carrots to food processor, add 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, and blitz to form a coarse paste. Leave to cool, then add orange zest, garlic, harissa, half the lemon zest and black pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
3. Mix yogurt, lemon juice, remaining lemon zest, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
4. Spread yogurt mixture on a serving platter and spoon carrot mixture on top. Sprinkle with pistachios, drizzle with a little olive oil, and serve.